guix-devel

Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:45:46 +0100

Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op zo 20-02-2022 om 19:05 [+0100]:
> > Note: The upstream Contributor Covenant wouldn't want to include it
> > because the author seems to have a peculiar world-view where they
> > don't acknowledge that humans actually have a sex.  I hope the Guix
> > maintainers are more reasonable than that. :-)
> Sorry, but tracking down the issue you submitted towards the
> contributor covenant, it appears to me that you are the misguided
> one.
> The CoC already prohibits discrimination based on gender identity,
> sexual identity and sexual orientation.  If you identify your gender
> as
> your sex, whatever that might be, you are thereby already protected.
>
> The wording you chose (intentionally or otherwise) tries to
> invalidate
> other people's gender identity and thus violates the CoC.

Ignoring upstream's context and whether Taylan Kammer is misguided or
not, listing sex among the list could be useful if a potential harasser
H who understands the difference between sex and gender and knows that
V has sex A not corresponding to gender B under current social
convention, and H would harass V over their sex (but H is fine with V's
gender).

To me, this seems a rather contrived scenario though ...

Greetings,
Maxime.