guix-devel

Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:01:11 +0100

On 20.02.2022 22:37, Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:

> Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just one remark for them: most women I know would think twice before
>> spending time trying to get into a community whose rules intentionally
>> don't acknowledge sex-based discrimination.
>
> Honest question, because (IIUC) this is the whole point of having a CoC:
>
> Do those women believe that “… harassment-free experience for everyone,
> regardless of … gender identity and expression, … or sexual identity and
> orientation.” would not cover any potential harassment that they could
> be subjected to while participating in Guix’s community?

If no characteristics were listed at all, it wouldn't matter, but if there's
a long list yet 'sex' is explicitly excluded, that seems rather hostile,
even if it doesn't mean that Guix maintainers would actually ignore
harassment that happened on the grounds of someone's sex.

Happy to talk more about this off-list.  As it stands I'm rather embarrassed
that this thread immediately blew up and wish I hadn't posted it at all now.

--
Taylan