guix-devel

Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC

From: Taylan Kammer
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:43:25 +0100

On 20.02.2022 19:05, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
>> Note: The upstream Contributor Covenant wouldn't want to include it
>> because the author seems to have a peculiar world-view where they
>> don't acknowledge that humans actually have a sex.  I hope the Guix
>> maintainers are more reasonable than that. :-)
> Sorry, but tracking down the issue you submitted towards the
> contributor covenant, it appears to me that you are the misguided one.
> The CoC already prohibits discrimination based on gender identity,
> sexual identity and sexual orientation.  If you identify your gender as
> your sex, whatever that might be, you are thereby already protected.
>
> The wording you chose (intentionally or otherwise) tries to invalidate
> other people's gender identity and thus violates the CoC.
>
> Cheers

I had really hoped this would be an uncontroversial suggestion...

It might be useful to provide a link in case others want to take a look at
the debate as well:

https://github.com/EthicalSource/contributor_covenant/pull/548

I've said everything there I'd say now if I were to argue back, and I really
don't want to argue about this on a Guix ML anyway, so I'll leave it to the
maintainers to decide what to do.  Just one remark for them: most women I
know would think twice before spending time trying to get into a community
whose rules intentionally don't acknowledge sex-based discrimination.

--
Taylan