guix-devel

Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:02:45 +0100

Hi Mark,

Am Sonntag, dem 20.02.2022 um 14:47 -0500 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
> Hi Liliana,
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > Note: The upstream Contributor Covenant wouldn't want to include
> > > it because the author seems to have a peculiar world-view where
> > > they don't acknowledge that humans actually have a sex.  I hope
> > > the Guix maintainers are more reasonable than that. :-)
> > Sorry, but tracking down the issue you submitted towards the
> > contributor covenant, it appears to me that you are the misguided
> > one.
> > The CoC already prohibits discrimination based on gender identity,
> > sexual identity and sexual orientation.  If you identify your
> > gender as your sex, whatever that might be, you are thereby already
> > protected.
> >
> > The wording you chose (intentionally or otherwise) tries to
> > invalidate other people's gender identity and thus violates the
> > CoC.
>
> Can you please point out which of Taylan's words "tries to invalidate
> other people's gender identity", and explain how you reached that
> conclusion from the words you cite?
"Sex is distinct from gender" is a common transphobic talking point.
Biologically speaking, there are already multiple ways of looking at
sex (chromosomes, particular features, hormones, ...), none of which
really map to the colloquial use of the word.

For example, you might point to some dictionary definition of "man" as
"an adult human male" and while we have a more or less clear
understanding of what a human is, neither "adult" nor "male" mean the
same things across different communities or more broadly speaking
cultures.  While we in Guix would very much accept a trans man as both
being a man and male, the bio-essentialist will point to this
definition and say "aha! you're not a man because you don't have a
penis" or in some cases even "because you don't have XY chromosomes",
completely ignoring how others interpret either term.

For this reason, I find it not very helpful to welcome such debate in
Guix' spaces and would like to avoid it if possible.  Taylan linked the
upstream issue and in my personal opinion, upstream has a good reason
to reject the proposal.

Cheers