Re: Using POT files -- (PO Template)

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: Using POT files -- (PO Template)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:33:03 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
Antenore Gatta wrote:
> Could you please remind me which was exactly the problem with xgettext and
> Smarty templates?

Such problem is exposed at the below task
 task: Automate the POT file generation
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6174

Thanks, now I remember :-P and maybe there is a smart(y) solution
Fabian Thylmann (http://ft.typepad.com/fabian_thylmann/) wrote a pre-filter that should resolve the "variables" problems inside the {t} tags. You can see this at http://ft.typepad.com/fabian_thylmann/2006/09/smarty_gnu_gett.html

Do you please have time to test this?

You could download SmartyGettext to see the tsmarty2c tool which David
tryed to modify to be able to process the Smarty templates.

However note the automatic generation of the POT file is a different
problem. We have two problems:
 1. automatic generation of the messages.POT file
 2. After we have the POT, got automatically or by hand, we have
    to set it into sync with all the PO files (one for each language)

Right now we are realizing both tasks by hand.

If we have the POT file correctly generated by the xgettext, after should be a matter of modifying by hand, just one time, the PO files and for the next releases using the merge tool.