Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations

From: Duarte Loreto
Subject: Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:19:35 +0000

Hello

On Feb 14, 2008 8:10 PM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
If you go to https://gnuherds.org/person (PT view) you will note some
countries are not rightly translated at the ComboBox.  It is due to we are
using now the '-f' option at the 'msgfmt' command.

I have to admit I'm not sure if using -f is a good idea. For what I understand, that makes fuzzy messages be used as a translated string. Those fuzzies could contain errors that could be missleading to the users. But I have to hope another person that understands more the msgfmt workings can step up and answer here.

IMHO adding the '-f' option has been good idea due to it has raised the
problem of conflicting translations:

  "Nauruano"  vs  "Nauru"

In this case the conflict was between the iso_639 and iso_3166 domains.

To solve such conflict I will use one gettext domains for each PO file:
 iso_3166.po
 iso_4217.po
 iso_639.po
 messages.po
 nationalities.po

Let me know if it is not the right solution.

As for the specific case about conflicting translations on the ISO translations... Those are maintained at the Translation Project [1] but looking at the po files there it seems that the translation was done under the Debian translation project. The maintainer was the same person to all files but last update was done around September 2007.

I don't know if the conflict could be raised as a bug (neither where to report it) because, although the same translatable string should have the same translation, if one of the strings is fuzzy, it should be ignored.

Sorry if I can't help more than this. Best regards,
Duarte

[1]http://translationproject.org/team/pt.html
--
http://perolasdagestao.blog.pt