Re: Italian translation -- some notes

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Italian translation -- some notes
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:35:31 +0100 (CET)

http://gnuherds.org updated.

> Sometimes I'm not sure if I should translate from the English or not...
>
> An example is Freelance, in Italian literally is indipendente or "libero
> professionista", that are normally used by everybody for any kinds of
> independent activities. In our job (IT) is more common to hear freelance.
>
> It's common practice in Italy, to use the the original English words, ie
> it's rare to say:
>
> "Inviami un messaggio di posta elettronica" (really long isn't it?)
>
> But we say
>
> "Inviami un'email"
>
> If you try some tests like:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-40%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=%22invia+un%27email+a+%22&btnG=Search
>
> (380,000 results)
>
> You will see that it's not so "mistaken", even if the right form:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-40%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=%22invia+un+messaggio+a+%22&btnG=Search
>
> (662,000 results)
>
> It seems to be more used in the written form...
>
> Email it's just an example and personally I prefer always the "not
> translated" version.

First I kept 'email' in the Spanish translation , but later, after looking
at the Portuguese translation I decided translate it to "correo
electronico" and now I like a lot more when I use the gnuherds site :)

Besides, the official Spanish dictionaries write "correo electronico", of
course :)

On the other hand, we should take care of very very long sentences in the
webapp menu.

> So, I don't know, if I would have the time I'd like to chat with some more
> experienced translator (Italian)...

Checking with an experienced Italian translator is a very good idea: via
chat or email, ...