Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:18:26 +0100

Duarte Loreto wrote:
> > It is due to we are using now the '-f' option at the 'msgfmt' command.
>
> I have to admit I'm not sure if using -f is a good idea. For what I
> understand, that makes fuzzy messages be used as a translated string. Those
> fuzzies could contain errors that could be missleading to the users.

You are right. I refreshed gnuherds.org without using '-f'.

A very interesting rationale about using fuzzy strings can be read at:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001245.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001246.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001247.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001249.html

> > To solve such conflict I will use one gettext domains for each PO file:
> >  iso_3166.po
> >  iso_4217.po
> >  iso_639.po
> >  messages.po
> >  nationalities.po

> [...] the same translatable string should have the same translation,

The same English string could have different Portuguese translations. It
depends on the context, as the below case:

  # iso_639, Language names
  #. name for nau
  msgid "Nauru"
  msgstr "Nauruano"

  # iso_3166, Country names
  #. name for NRU
  msgid "Nauru"
  msgstr "Nauru"

Therefore, IMHO the natural solution is to use a different domain (context)
for each '.po' file.  Now I think that is the natural way to use the gettext
framework.  I did a mistake when I chose to use only one domain name for all
the webapp, using 'msgcat', so raising msgid translation conflicts:

  msgcat messages.po iso_639.po iso_4217.po iso_3166.po > result.po
  msgfmt -f result.po

Let me know if there are any mistake in the above rationale.