Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations

From: Duarte Loreto
Subject: Re: Portuguese translation -- avoiding conflictting translations
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:39:51 +0000

Hello!

Sorry for late reply, only now I could read this email.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
A very interesting rationale about using fuzzy strings can be read at:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001245.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001246.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001247.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-isocodes-devel/2008-January/001249.html

Interesting reading. Many thanks for that!

> [...] the same translatable string should have the same translation,

The same English string could have different Portuguese translations. It
depends on the context, as the below case:

 # iso_639, Language names
 #. name for nau
 msgid "Nauru"
 msgstr "Nauruano"

 # iso_3166, Country names
 #. name for NRU
 msgid "Nauru"
 msgstr "Nauru"

You're right! I didn't notice the fact thatthe context was different...

Therefore, IMHO the natural solution is to use a different domain (context)
for each '.po' file.  Now I think that is the natural way to use the gettext
framework.  I did a mistake when I chose to use only one domain name for all
the webapp, using 'msgcat', so raising msgid translation conflicts:

 msgcat messages.po iso_639.po iso_4217.po iso_3166.po > result.po
 msgfmt -f result.po

Let me know if there are any mistake in the above rationale.

I'm not an expert on gettext framework, but I guess that it makes sense to use the different domains.

Many thanks for looking into this and, in the process, sharing knowledge with me (and all others on the list)! Best regads,

Duarte Loreto
--
http://perolasdagestao.blog.pt